Why peak performers are at high risk of burnout
If you’re an ambitious executive, team leader or business owner/manager you want to bring out the best in yourself and your team to accelerate performance,
You also want to avoid flogging yourself or your team members to death in the process! And that’s exactly what my P.E.A.R.L.S. Peak Performance strategy is designed to do – pave the way to achieving peak performance at work without burning yourself out!
Much deeper than efficiency tips
I want to share with you how to work smarter, not harder. However, my prescription for preventing burnout is not a list of efficiency tips; it delves way deeper than simple efficiencies.
Please do NOT misunderstand me – I am not saying that efficient work habits are not useful – they are! I am simply saying that deeper level work habits and choices will have a more profound impact on your ability to perform at your best and still avoid burnout.
How the three pillars of the P.E.A.R.L.S. system help to buffer burnout
Sadly, counsellors’ and psychiatrists’ couches the world over have been the scene of lengthy and costly stays by high achievers from both the corporate and business sectors; talented and ambitious men and women who have suffered serious burnout, anxiety and/or depression in their quest for peak performance.
Burnout rarely has a single cause. We see high flyers who have spent countless hours week after week, year after year, sometimes even decade after decade, investing huge amounts of time, energy and money in their business or career without experiencing adequate levels of personal satisfaction or a sense of success in their work. Instead, they:
- struggled to maintain motivation, finding little meaning and joy in their work; yet they pressed on!
- managed a model of work that failed to leverage their strengths, leaving them lacking any sense of satisfaction; yet they persevered!
- experienced feelings of despair as they encountered many avoidable roadblocks that slowed the momentum of their path to success; yet they persisted!
Happily, there is a solution to this dilemma and for that we turn to the three pillars underpinning the P.E.A.R.L.S. system.
The antidote is this 3-ingredient prescription
- Direction – where do you want to go?
- Motivation – what energy do you need to get you there?
- Capability – do you have the knowledge, skills and resources to complete the journey?
Why finding and maintaining direction matters.
Directions are instructions given to explain how. Direction is a vision offered to explain why.”
– Simon Sinek
Why motivation matters
If someone is going down the wrong road, he doesn’t need motivation to speed him up. What he needs is education to turn him around.”
– Jim Rohn
Why capability matters
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
And those 3 elements – direction, motivation and capability – form the foundation of the 6 step P.E.A.R.L.S. Peak Performance System.
P.E.A.R.L.S. Peak Performance System
Six steps to success with P.E.A.R.L.S.
- Personalise your peak performance plan.
- Engage your key talents.
- Align your values and vision for the results you really want.
- Relate authentically.
- Learn efficiently and communicate effectively.
- Serve to win/win/win